Pirate Birthday Party Crafts
Keep party guests busy with pirate birthday party crafts.
Instructions for Pirate Crafts:Pirate Hat
A perfect pirate party accessory.
Bandana Decorate a pirate bandana.
Perfect for collecting their loot.
A great accessory for a treasure hunt.
For a parent to make for the kids.
This page has ideas for pirate crafts that kids can make and keep. Crafts are a great way to start a party and the finished craft can even be used during the party as a game or costume accessory.
1. Pirate Hat
Here are the steps to make some fun pirate hats. The kids can easily do the folding and decorating to make a party accessory and keepsake.
|1. Get a large piece of blank newsprint paper, if possible. If not, just use regular newspaper. About half a page is good for a child size pirate hat. Fold that piece of paper in half lengthwise.|
|2. Fold the two corners that are along the folded edge in towards the middle, making a point at the top.|
|3. There should still be an exposed strip of paper at the bottom. Fold the front portion of the strip upwards. Flip the hat over and fold the other side of the strip up.|
|4. One side of the hat should appear as shown on the left. The other side won't have the vertical line down from the point of the hat.|
|5. The hat opens up along the folds you just made. Now, cut out some stencils or get some pirate stickers the kids can use to decorate their hat. The final result could look like the image to the right.|
2. Pirate Bandana
This craft is mainly just the kids decorating a bandana in pirate style.
3. Treasure Chest
This is a very versatile craft. You can have the kids actually build their own boxes and decorate them, or for a shorter craft you can supply the boxes and just have the kids decorate them. These wonderful treasure chests can then be used as their loot bags, or as a main item within a larger loot bag.
How to Make a Craft Stick Treasure BoxThis craft will take some time to do, so you'll have to allocate at least 1/2 hour for this craft.
What You'll Need
- Thick craft foam (1/2 inch thick)- preferably brown (or substitute cork)
- Craft Sticks - preferably brown
- Craft glue
- Stick on gems
- Small elsatic (optional)
- Gold or bronze colored ribbon
Decorating a Treasure BoxSince it takes a while for kids to build their own boxes, you may prefer just having them decorate boxes that you supply.
- Small hinged box
- Brown paint
- Stick on jewels
- Gold or bronze colored ribbon
- Skull and Crossbones (Jolly Roger) stencil or stickers
Treasure Box Craft Kit
If you don't have time to go out looking for all the craft supplies, then a quick and inexpensive option would be to buy a kit. Here is a kit and some other accessories you may want to look into buying for the pirate party:
Treasure Chest Craft
(12-Pack) Treasure Chest Craft activity for up to 12 children includes glue, brushes, paint and decorative accessories to put on your finished treasure chests. Great for pirate birthday parties.
4. Coin Sack
The coin sack is a great craft for the kids because the sacks can be used as their loot bags. The sack can also be an accessory for a pirate costume. It's simple to make and the kids can make it and decorate it themsleves. Here's what you need:
- Brown or beige felt
- Hole punch
- Pirate Stencils
Preparation before the party:
- Print out the coin sack pattern and cut along the outline.
- Use the hole punch to punch out the holes where the circles are
- Cut out copies of the sack from the felt for each child at the party
- Punch the holes out for each of the felt cut-outs.
- Cut lengths of string about 2.5 ft for each coin sack
- Place two of the coin sack cut-outs on top of each other and tie them together with a string in one of the corners. Use a firm knot. Repeat for the remaining sacks.
- Leave the rest of the string free for the kids to weave through the holes to make their sack.
- Cut additional lengths of string 15" long. These strings will be used as the ties for the tops of the sacks.
- Prepare some pirate stencils and markers for the kids to decorate their coin sacks. If you print out the stencils, then print on cover stock and use an exacto knife to cut the stencils out.
Making the Coin Sack
It's a lot of preparation, but the kids will love the outcome. Here's what to do:
- Give each of the party guests a started coin sack, a second string for the tie, and stencils, markers, or other decorations for the coin sacks.
- Have the kids loop the attached string through the holes from back to front (or front to back as long as they are consistent). Continue looping the string around the bottom of the sack and up until it reaches the other corner. Knot the string tightly at that corner and cut off extra string.
- When the sack is sewn together, have thme weave the second string through the holes at the top of the sack. Make sure they aren't sewing it shut. The string should be going around the outside perimeter of the sack and the ends of the string will be knotted together. This string should be able to gather the top of the sack shut.
- Now the kids can use their imagination to decorate their pirate coin sacks.
5. Balloon Sword
This isn't really a craft to kids to make. It's for an adult at the party to make for the kids. Here's what you need:
- Long thin balloons
- Balloon pump (you can't blow up those balloons by mouth)
- Sword instructions
- Pirate Hat instructions
Balloon Sword Instructions
Step 1.Blow up a long thin balloon so that there is a portion at the tip that is not blown up. This is needed for when you twist the balloon into sections.
Step 2.Twist the balloon so that there is a section at the tied end of the balloon big enough for a handle, six small sections and one long section for the sword. Start the twisting at the handle end so that the air will be forced into the unblown up section of the balloon. It is also easier to do the handle and three small sections, twist them together, then the other three small sections and twist together again.
Step 3.The final balloon sword should look something this this:
For more pirate birthday party theme ideas, follow these links:Pirate Party Invitations
Pirate Party Crafts
Pirate Costume Ideas
Pirate Party Snacks
Pirate Party Loot Bags
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching www.Fun-Kids-Birthday-Party-Ideas.com to find what you want.